Saturday, November 16, 2013

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder | Dim Light

Let me just hop on the rave train and start by saying, Hourglass, you made a darn flippin' amazing product. Interestingly though my opinion of this product wasn't so from first use, or even from first sight which is unlike that of many beauty bloggers.


The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders are a range of six gorgeous, finely milled finishing powders each with a different purpose. I think what is quite unique about this product is that each of the six in the range do very different things on all different skin tones but they all promise to light up your complexion from within. Some are blue-toned, some are yellow-toned, some are high-shimmer, some are just glowy. Whatever your skin type and tone may be, there is one for you. Personally, I was looking for a neutral, beige powder to use all over my face as a finishing powder, rather than just at the tops of my cheekbones as a highlighter. Dim Light was the one that ticked all the boxes - when applied it just gives the most beautiful sheer layer of soft focus glow to the skin. Not a dewy, wet-looking glow; not a shimmery, glittery glow; but a very subtle, fresh faced, life-giving glow. It also has a lovely way of just blurring the skin so as to help hide any imperfections. It is truly remarkable.

Dim Light in natural light - it's a very subtle effect, and one that is more noticeable in person.

Taken directly from the Sephora website, these are the six powders and what they claim to do:
Ethereal Light: A sheer, cool tone that eliminates shine and mimics a moonlit glow—even in broad daylight.
Diffused Light: A soft, warm, pale yellow that reduces redness, eliminates shine, and gives skin clarity.
Dim Light: A neutral soft beige that provides a perfect balance of warm and cool tones to blur imperfections.
Mood Light: A soft, sheer lavender pink that mimics the softest, most forgiving light and brightens the complexion.
Luminous Light: A champagne pearl that creates a soft, incandescent candlelit glow—day or night.
Radiant Light: A sun-kissed golden beige that enhances the overall complexion with believable, subtle warmth. 


In theory, this product should work fine on top of just about any type and texture of face base, just a light dusting to finish the face off as the name finishing powder suggests. In my personal experience, I find this works best when substituted in place of my regular setting powder. As the last step of my base routine on top of liquid foundation, I think it does a fantastic job at what it claims and it lasts quite a while too! It doesn't claim to set makeup but in my opinion it's actually quite excellent at it.

Although these powders were talked about heavily in the spring and summer this year, I actually think Dim Light in particular is incredibly suitable for autumn/winter because it has a way of injecting life into the paler skin we get from the change in weather. It's a much more season-appropriate way of avoiding the "dead" look. No need for fake tan, which can get messy and is more suited for summer anyways. I absolutely love my Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder and am quite afraid to admit to myself that it just might be a holy grail, forever in my stash product. (Pockets emptied.)

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders contain 0.35 oz of product, and are sold in Sephora stores for CAD$52.

8 comments:

  1. I think Dim Light would be the one for me too.. I really want one of these! I'm waiting it out until I'm near a counter though, just to really have THE perfect shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabelle! Yeah I think for something this expensive, definitely go in and try it on first to make sure it's absolutely perfect! :) Happy shopping!

      Delete
  2. This looks beautiful on you Jem - I really want to give one of these powders a go! x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Josie! They're wonderful and I highly recommend them so maybe put it on your Christmas list! ;)

      Delete
  3. this sounds amazing! with so many different types of 'lights', hehe. thanks for reviewing, I wonder if theyre avail in Aus!

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a unique idea for a product. No problem! And I hope they do otherwise you'd be missing out!

      Delete
  4. I love the packaging of these and all the amazing reviews make me so tempted to try one! I wonder how they would work on darker skin colours though, if they'd still be as undetectable! xx

    Fernanda | Ferdie's Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely worth all the hype! Go check it out and store and try it on. :) I think it'd look good on you!

      Delete