Friday, November 22, 2013

Autumn Edit

As always, my seasonal edit is just a tad late.... Whoops. We're more than halfway through autumn now, but I've just been soooo in love with my autumnal makeup selection; it would be criminal of me not to share my autumn favourites with you all. My makeup mantra for this season has been very clean, natural, cool, glowy skin injected with burgundy and bronze where appropriate. Let's have a chat about my top picks this autumn.


FACE: My choice base this fall has been the perfect and gorgeous Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light. I couldn't stop singing its praises in my last blog post, so if you want a full review be sure to check that out. What I love about this product is that you can dust it on everyday after you've done all your makeup and it just creates such a beautiful, subtle lit-from-within look to the skin. For those of you who get that dull, lackluster skin around this time of year, I highly recommend trying this product out because it is seriously amazing. A miracle worker. 

LIPS: To me, fall is all about taking the colour palette a bit darker and richer, and bringing out those gorgeous berry tones. For an everyday, wear-with-anything lipstick this season, MAC Syrup in the Lustre finish is my top pick. It's the most gorgeous, sheeny plum shade, and the type of lipstick you can whack on mirror-less. So effortless and so forgiving; what's not to love? Of course I had to put a vampy lip offering in here as well. For days or nights when you're feeling a bit more adventurous: MAC Dark Side lipstick which comes in an Amplified finish. Dark lipsticks are one of the easiest ways (and one of my personal favourite ways) to get yourself looking presentable fast. When I'm pressed for time to do my makeup, I will quickly do my base, run some mascara through my lashes, and just slick on my favourite dark lipstick. All done in five, but it looks like it took you ages.

CHEEKS: If you're going to wear a dark lip, it is critical that you tone your cheek colour down. (Unless of course you are doing something editorial and that's the look you're going for.) Something like MAC Gingerly blush is perfect for the job. It's a murky light brown with a hint of rose; and it just adds some life to your cheeks without going overboard. My other cheek option is Stila Convertible Colour in Peony. It's a cream product, and I love it because it's so easy to pat onto your cheeks or lips if you're in a rush or on-the-go. This one has a bit more colour than Gingerly - it's a pretty, muted dusty rose - but it still has that autumnal tone.

EYES: Although bronzy shades are more typically associated with summer, I think a cool bronze eye in the fall is absolutely gorgeous, and it complements berry lips really well! I use the Maybelline Colour Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze as an eyeshadow base to prevent creasing and increase staying power, then apply L'oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush on top, all over the lid and into the crease for a vibrant bronze. I then take a fluffy blending brush and just blend all the edges for a soft, seamless eye look.

NAILS: Without question, OPI We'll Always Have Paris. Oh the gorgeous, deep merlot.... Classic. Chic. Screams fall. No further explanation necessary.

STYLE: If you're going to purchase one clothing item or accessory this autumn, let it be the Wilfred Coquette scarf. I just... I have no words. If you recall this was on my Window Shopping blog post (few posts back); I received it as a birthday present from a few friends and have been obsessed ever since. The Coquette scarf comes in a few different colours and patterns, as you can see mine has really nice earthy tones which makes it really easy to wear with a lot of different outfits. But what I love most about this scarf is how massive it is. It basically doubles as a blanket. And I'm not kidding. This scarf may not look substantial at first - as in it's not a chunky knit scarf - but it is oh so warm and cozy. Whenever I'm feeling extra chilly and I don't have a sweater to chuck on, I'll wrap this around my shoulders and it brings me back to a comfortable temperature in no time. ;)

What have you been loving this autumn?

6 comments:

  1. I freaking love the Coquette scarf too! Can't live without it this fall and winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traitor! Forever and always A Little Rosti At This!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA J. Sorry, it just didn't make the cut this year.

      Delete
  3. I really want to welcome Amber Rush to my L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadow collection - such a pretty colour. Glad that you love Dim Light so much - I find it difficult to work with but I'm persevering with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do itttt, so wearable! :) Awww really? Have you written a review on it? How do you apply it?

      Delete