You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Daisies | A Nail Tutorial

It's been autumn for a while now but it wasn't until recently that the leaves started to fall and change colour, and the temperatures took a dip. Now here we are, back in the season of cozy knits and burgundy, and I'm totally ready to embrace it; but before it's gone for good here's one last goodbye to warm sunny days... in the form of these super cute daisy nails! I saw different variations of these by Lily (whatihearttoday) and Caroline (burkatron) and thought it would make the perfect first foray into real nail art with a dotting tool and all. It looks really complicated but it wasn't that difficult at all. I would just recommend having tons of time and patience. :) 

Here's how I got my daisy nails:

First off, you'll need:
A light blue nail polish | Essie Bikini So Teeny
A while nail polish | Sally Hansen White On
A yellow nail polish | Unknown

Your choice of top coat | Sally Hansen InstaDri

A dotting tool
Nail polish remover
Some cotton rounds

1. Paint on coats of your favourite light blue nail polish until you get nice, opaque colour. Let that dry for a few minutes.

2. Take some white nail polish onto a scrap piece of paper or a paper plate, and with the small end of your dotting tool, dip it into the polish and onto your fingernail to form the flowers. 

  • Start by creating the 'skeleton' of your flower: Pretend you are going to draw a star and dot on 5 dots on where the corners would be. Then add a 6th dot in the middle.
  • Then simply connect the dots and fill in your 'skeleton'.
  • You'll notice that polish will start to dry and build up on the dotting tool, so have a cotton round with nail polish remover poured on at the ready just to clean your dotting tool periodically.
This is the most challenging part but it doesn't have to be totally perfect! The overall look will still be super cute! Sporadically paint these flowers on all of your nails - you can decide how many go on one nail but I recommend really filling them in as much as you can.


3. If after painting your nails, there are a lot of weird gaps or holes, you can fill in the spaces but just dotting on a few polka dots wherever you please.

4. Take some yellow nail polish onto your scrap piece of paper, and with the same end of the dotting tool dot in the centres of your flowers. This will really complete those daisy flowers and pull the whole nail art together!


5. Whack on some top coat and you're done!


That's it! I hope you enjoyed this nail art tutorial. It's super cute and fun to do on a day when you're just chilling or watching TV. I've done this on myself twice already: once while watching an episode of Breaking Bad, and the second time reading my Plant Biology textbook (hence, the background). Anyways, s'all for now!

14 comments:

  1. simple and cute! all i need is a yellow polish and I can do this :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Go grab one from Shoppers ASAP! ;)

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I need a new white polish so I can do this.
    www.helloitsoceane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh go do it and tweet me a photo! x :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks girls! Appreciate the love. x :)

      Delete
  4. amazing! you did a great job there! I wish I could also enjoy things like that but I can't manage to last it long hee but I would love to try this on my sisters nails she has a lovely hands and nails. Yours is so adorable too love the color and daisies and anything flowery is love on my eyes <3Hope you can drop by my blog sometime too and perhaps follow each other if you'd like:)

    xx
    ellie
    http://chasingculprit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet comment Ellie! :) Will check out your blog. x

      Delete
  5. This is the cutest! Love the base colour that you used, it's so cheerful and bright :) I recently bought Essie Bikini So Teeny and it is a lovely blue. I may have to try this design sometime though I need to get a dotting tool first. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! :) If you don't have a dotting tool maybe try a bobby pin or a toothpick? They work just as great!

      Delete
  6. Daisies are my favorite flower! Love this tutorial. Too bad I suck at doing my own nails :( Amazing blog <3

    www.thatradkid.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give this tutorial a try Nicole! Or try maybe one nail per hand? That way it will be a lot easier to do. :) Thanks for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  7. Love it!!

    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg