You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Clarisonic Mia

I know, I know - as if you haven't heard enough about the Clarisonic. If you've already made up your mind about this skin gizmo then this may not be very useful for you but personally I enjoy reading numerous reviews before I decide to go out and buy something as expensive as the Clarisonic. This review has taken so long to get out there because I really want to make sure my opinion is solid. I've had my Clarisonic for just about a year now so I've really had time to use it and test it out and I think I'm ready to make proper judgments about it. I debated a lot about whether to write a post or film a video because there is a lot of information to get across; in the end I decided on a post but divided it into sections so it's not too overwhelming. If you're really considering purchasing a Clarisonic, get comfortable because this should be really helpful! :)


The Product: Specifications
  • I would describe the Clarisonic much like everyone else has described it in the past: a hefty, oversized toothbrush for your face. It has a nice chunky handle with an on/off button at the front, and then a round brush head that pulses and vibrates as it cleanses your face. 
  • The default brush head is the sensitive one, but Clarisonic has made a few different brush heads to suit different needs so be sure to check them all out to see what's best for you. 
  • The Clarisonic Mia comes in a wide variety of colours and patterns so there is sure to be one for everyone. The one I own is in the prettiest light blue! 
  • In terms of battery life, a fully charged Clarisonic will last 20 minutes which is equivalent to 20 uses (1 minute per use).
  • The Clarisonic is fully waterproof which means you can take this in the shower without worrying about zapping yourself or ruining the device.
  • There is only one speed setting on this model of the Clarisonic but it doesn't bother me much. I don't think you need another speed setting.
  • Lastly, it's worth mentioning that if you order off the Clarisonic website you do have the option of having something printed on the back of your device, like a name or a message.


The Product: Function

Just a quick run through of how I use my Clarisonic! I start off by wetting my face and running the brush under some warm water. I squeeze off any excess water from the brush head before applying a quarter-size amount of my cleanser onto the center of the brush head then sort of roughly spreading it through. Now for the exciting part - I press button right below the brush head and place the Clarisonic lightly on my face. The device vibrates for 60-seconds so I divide that time between the parts of my face, taking a bit more time to do my nose and chin. I also take it down to my neck if I have any extra time after I've covered my entire face. The Clarisonic will stop automatically after 60 seconds, after which I rinse the brush head under water to get all the soap out, then I wash my face. Tada!

When you see a blinking green light at the back of your Clarisonic this means that it needs to be charged. The charger and the Clarisonic are magnetic so there are no ports or plugs to worry about (besides the one you plug into the wall to power the charger!). Charging can take a full day so make sure you do it on a day when you won't be using your Clarisonic. Since it is a very deep cleansing tool I don't recommend anyone use it every single day as it can eventually dry your skin out. 2-3 days a week in the evening is perfect to just renew your skin and make sure all that makeup, dirt and grime is off of your face.


Results

Before I talk about my thoughts, I should first mention what my skin was like before. I have combination skin - my cheeks and forehead are normal, but my nose and chin get oily throughout the day. I don't get many spots but they come one after another which is frustrating because it means I never have a totally good skin day. As a result, I had pretty bad acne scarring - so bad that even when I didn't have a spot my skin would look splotchy and horrible. I also had clogged and enlarged pores around my nose and chin, and my skin was uneven in tone and texture. In general, it was lackluster and dull.

For the first month and half of using the Clarisonic I did experience a purging phase, which is when your skin spits out all the dirt and nasties it has been storing resulting in breakouts. I had a nearly unbearable purging phase with horrible breakouts even in places I don't usually break out in! Makeup could barely salvage it.

But after the purging, I noticed results that I was really happy with. It was difficult to trust that the Clarisonic would do me good at first, but you do really have to give it some time to do its job. Here are my honest thoughts on my personal experience:
  • Improved skin texture and tone
  • Shrunken but not invisible pores - which is a realistic expectation
  • It did not get rid of spots completely but it did make them less severe, less frequent, and more quickly removed
  • It doesn't really clear out blackheads, whiteheads, oil, sebum, or anything stuck in your pores so I would definitely recommend using a clay mask or some sort of treatment if that is a real problem for you
  • Lightened acne scars
  • Massages the face and brings blood to the surface
  • Brighter-looking skin


Summary

Overall I'm really happy with what it's done for my skin and I don't regret purchasing it! I think initially my expectations of it were just too high, from hearing everyone's raves, so I didn't find it mind-blowing or revolutionary by any means. I think I was waiting for some moment of clarity or something, haha! But after a certain amount of time using it, I've come to the conclusion that it's a really amazing tool to have to wash your skin with and it's definitely improved my skin a lot from what it was like before. I still have to be realistic and accept that there isn't really anything out there that will truly get you from bad skin to amazing skin. It's a process that involves a really good, solid skincare routine but also good eating habits!

10 comments:

  1. Love how comprehensive your review is! I actually found it to be quite informative, but to the point and not too long :P I've always thought of getting a clairsonic. It seems like I have the same type of skin as you - oily around the t-zone with large pores. After reading what seems to be 20+ clairsonic reviews, I'm not sure I'm convinced still..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! That's what I was going for. :) Hope I didn't bore you! If you're happy with your skin and your current skincare routine then don't buy it just for the hype! I rave and push tons of products on people but this won't be one of them. I think you could live without a Clarisonic, but it does help. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha oh indeed we posted about Clarisonic on the same day! How funny is that haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My face is too cheap for fancy shmancy electronics like this! :-) Id love to try it sometime, though. Heard raves about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha oh gosh! In my opinion it's good but not necessary. So don't think that you absolutely have to go out and buy it. :) You can still achieve a good skincare routine without it!

      Delete
  4. I love my clarisonic. like absolutely love it! I agree with you that it's not anything revolutionary but after using it for a while, you really notice a difference in your skin!

    thinksandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really, really want to get a clarisonic! Will have to invest when my student loan comes though (naughty!)

    BritishBeautyAddict

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Hope you enjoy using it when you do get around to picking it up! :)

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg