You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Best of Summer: an edit

I know it is now mid-August and very well into summer, but hopefully you'll all still like today's post which is going to be my summer edit. I'm going to be talking about all of my favourites for the season which will include some old time loves and some newbies. I've got beauty as well as fashion bits, so kick back with your tall glass of ice cold iced tea and read on. :)



Makeup bits first. When I think of changing up my makeup in the summer I immediately think of bright colours, and blushes and lip products. Cheeks and lips are the easiest to experiment with without looking too crazy out there, so you'll see I've got a lot of picks from those categories!

  1. Topshop cream blush in Morning Dew | Cream blushes are totally appropriate for the summer because they just blend into the skin and give a really nice, natural look. This bright, almost neon pink (with a smidgeon of coral!) one from Topshop is daunting in the compact, but it looks perfectly summery and fresh blended onto the cheekbones.   
  2. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Rendezvous | These balm stains are long-time favourites of mine, and I actually reviewed them on this blog sometime last year. Rendezvous is an amazing bright orange that is just so easy to wear because of the smooth balm consistency.
  3. Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Sweetheart | Another one of these balm stains makes an appearance on my top summer products list. Sweetheart is the hot pink that suits all skin tones! Again easy to apply and easy to wear because of this product's great formulation. Just be sure to take some lip balm to top up on shine whenever the product starts to wear off.
  4. L'oreal Infallible Eyeshadow in Amber Rush | One of two eyeshadows to make the cut is this gorgeous frosty bronze loose powder eyeshadow. This is a recent addition to my makeup collection but I just love the rich, full-on colour. These shadows are very popular in the beauty community because it's not common to find a great quality, pigmented loose shadow for such a good, low price.
  5. MAC Fleur Power blush | This is my perfect summer blush, the blush you can wear with anything and everything this season! It's pink, coral, peach - bright, but not too bright. Apply with a light hand because this blush is super pigmented!
  6. Maybelline Color Tattoo in Bad to the Bronze | Again, like the loose shadow, it's really hard to find good quality cream shadows that are reasonably priced. This bronze one from Maybelline looks amazing on the lids especially with a tan. It just adds some warmth and depth to the eyes while still staying neutral.
  7. Essie Tart Deco | Most perfect pedicure colour. I can't get enough!
  8. OPI Dutch Tulips | This bright hot pink shade is one of my favourites because of its amazing pigmentation. One coat is all you need!
  9. L'oreal Colour Riche Caresse Lipstick in Sunset Angora | Love these lip products more than the Revlon Lip Butters, and this pretty coral colour is the shade for you if you want something summery but not too bright and neon.
  10. The Body Shop Honey Bronzer in 03 Medium Matte | Of course I had to stick a bronzer in because summer is all about getting our tan on. This bronzer is pretty natural but that's just the way I like it! Great for contouring too because it's matte.
  11. MAC Chatterbox lipstick | This lip pick is great if you've just started wearing bright lipsticks because it's bright but not outrageously so. The pinkish coral is neither too cool nor too warm, so I reckon it would suit a lot of skin tones!
  12. Sleek blush in Life's a Peach | For the daredevils out there, I've got something for you. This blush will be totally up your alley. Life's a Peach is flat out, bright neon orange. Wowoweeeee.


Now for my fashion picks! I've been really enjoying this summer's styles and fashions so I'm pretty excited to share my favourites with you.

  1. Crop tops | So many styles, prints, designs, and fits to choose from! Loose-fitting crop tops have been in style for a while but I'm so glad more brands have been coming out with the tighter-fitting ones because they are super cute and fresh and just different. A different way of baring just a bit. I only wear crop tops with high-waisted bottom pieces, otherwise I think it can be a little too much.
  2. High-waisted shorts | To pair with all your cute crop tops, a good pair of high-waisted denim shorts. This is a closet staple! I can't live without mine, I wear them all the time!
  3. Aldo sandals | I bought these last year ON SALE and wore them to death then, and they're still one of my favourite pairs of sandals. The colour and style is just so easy to wear and pair. I find that these sandals go with everything. They're probably no longer available but Aldo is always coming out with great styles for equally great prices.
  4. Baseball caps | My new obsession, could you say? I only have one and don't think I'd need many more but I just think baseball caps are so chic when worn with something a bit dressier or cuter. (See yesterday's OOTD! ;) ) I intended to buy one in a more neutral colour like gray, but when I spotted this lavender one at Lululemon I tried it on just for kicks and I guess you could say I fell in love. There was a gray one there as well and I think it was just too close to my hair colour to really pop. The lavender one was pretty and bright and I loved the way it looked on. I also figured since it is from Lulu I could wear it for outdoor runs when it's sunny out since I've always had the problem of not having appropriate sunnies for running.

4 comments:

  1. I would love to try the Revlon balm stains.. and the blush colours, both MAC and topshop are beautiful! :)

    from isabela at fusels.com | bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great! :) I highly recommend all this stuff. Go check em out!

      Delete
  2. ahhh where'd you get the lil pineapple top!?

    ReplyDelete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg