You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ultimate 90s Throwback: Ode to My Era

*This post is the second of a two-parter so if you haven't checked out the first post, go ahead and do so here! I let you guys in on what I actually wore during my childhood, and there are some seriously cute outfits so don't miss out.* 

Today on the blog is a special edition outfit post, a modern styling of my favourite 90s fashions. This one has got all the 90s trends you're familiar with including prints and patterns, hair baubles, circle sunglasses, sneaks, frills, and everyone's favourite: denim. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

The idea for this outfit came about when I found the gem of a dress in my sister's closet. I don't remember whether it was mine or a hand-me-down from a family friend, but I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it - gorgeous lines and cuts, lovely neckline, classic print. My sister's style is quite a bit different from mine so she was planning to give this away, but I snapped it as soon as I saw it! You know what they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. About the dress - it's a vintage Guess dress in a beautiful classic Gingham print. I'm guessing it was from the children's line, but the incredible stretch of the fabric made room for the curves I now have as an adult. 

If you've seen my '90s Personal Style' post (posted just before this one) then you know that my mom LOVED denim and decked me out in the stuff every chance she got, so I tossed my Gap light wash denim jacket over the dress for cooler, windier days. I think it gives a nice contrast and adds to the vintage feel. And as you can see, I'm loving the 'playing it safe' colour palette for this look. 

Speaking of colour, to add a real good punch of a vibrant hue I chose this orange ball hair bauble which I actually wore in the 90s! I've accumulated a lot of different shapes and designs and colours and patterns of hair baubles over the years but the one I'm wearing in this outfit is one of my favourites because it's simple but super cute and gives a nice pop! And to go along with the 'circle' theme I wore my Topshop circle sunglasses. They are coming back into trend right now, but you better believe I was rocking those as a toddler except in maroon and thicker frames. I am loving these sunglasses and think they're such a great change from all the square, rectangular and angular frames that have been the popular choice for the past 5 years or so now.

On my feet I've got frilly socks, of course. Again these are from Topshop and they have a pretty floral print on them. If you have yet to witness Topshop's sock wall, you need to head on over there and check it out because it's pretty amazing. They have a wide selection of such cute socks (frilly and not)! Finally, I just went for my navy Keds sneakers for shoes.

Kept it minimal in the accessories and makeup department because I really wanted to stay true to my 90s style and do a proper modern rendition. All the pieces I'm wearing in this outfit post are things/trends that I wore constantly as a child, for realssss!

Photography: Shan Shukla 
  
Vintage Guess dress | Gap denim jacket | Topshop sunglasses | Topshop frilly socks | Keds sneakers

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you loved this post! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a cool look!! Love it :)
    Wanna follow each other? Let me know :)
    Hugs :)

    http://fashionalatic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zaira! I don't do follows for follows but I'll check your blog out. :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you combined those pieces!


    Please check out my blog :)
    THE GIRL BEHIND THE PEN

    ReplyDelete
  4. in love with this post, and your whole entire blog in general.

    lots of love from the casper&pearl girls – a little Aussie fashion brand
    casper&pearl blog
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks girls! xx :) Means a lot!

      Delete
  5. I love this outfit!!

    *Besos*

    http://www.cmichellestyles.com
    Instagram: Cmichellestyles

    ReplyDelete
  6. mi piace tantissimo il giubbotto
    Passa sul mio blog, c'è un nuovo post. Seguimi se ti piace, mi farebbe piacere.
    Ti lascio il mio link http://annalisamasella.blogspot.it/
    Puoi trovarmi anche su Facebook, instagram,chicisimo, lookbook, bloglovin, Fashiolista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish this was in English, girl! :(

      Delete
  7. im in love with this outfit!! it reeally does bring out ur personal style and u look extremely cute with ur hair up :D

    glad i came past ur blog new follower hehe! hope we can keep in touch

    xx Michelle

    www.michetteee.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thanks for your sweet words. xx And thank you so much for supporting by following!

      Delete
  8. nice look! ^^

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! They're from Topshop. :)

      Delete
  10. Amazing blog :)
    Followed you, please followe me

    www.dede-moda.blogspot.com

    www.facebook.com/dedemodablog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing blog ;) Love it :)
    Followed you, please followe me to on

    www.dede-moda.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/dedemodablog

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MA GAWD! You look freakin' adorable!!! Like. You can rock the 90s girl!! And I love your little bobble hair tie. So so cute!
    Britney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Britney you're so sweet! Thank you for your kind words! :) Haha yes I love that hair bobble!!!

      Delete
  13. Ahh, the fashion of the '90s! Love the frilly socks you got from Top Shop- I love looking at all the different colours and styles hanging from their racks :P The dress fits you so nicely too, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Yes, the Topshop sock wall is to die for. I want every pair. :P

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg