You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ultimate 90s Throwback: My Personal Style

The 90s. Words cannot adequately express my love for the decade I was born in. There are so many things to love about the 90s: the best TV shows, the most delicious snacks and foods, the faddiest fads, ... but what I love the most is the fashion. Bright patterns and prints, every hair decorating thing you could imagine, cutest t-shirts, old school frilly, denim on denim on denim on denimmmm. So I thought what better way to remember my decade than to do a two-part post reminiscing on the fashion of the past. This post, the first of two, is going to be a look into my personal 90s style which I all owe to my Mom. The second post which will go up either tomorrow or the day after, will be an outfit post inspired by the 90s. I hope you like this little series!

I was looking through some old photos and was seriously impressed by some of my outfits - thanks Mom, for dressing me so darn well! - and I thought it would be a neat idea to share a few of my favourites with you. You'll come to find that she was a massive fan of outfits that were both cute and comfy.

My wardrobe staples of the time: DENIM (jeans, jacket, overalls, vest,...), all-purpose red Chickeeduck jacket that my mom made me wear with anything and everything, and bright, patterned leggings galore.

ROCKING socks & sandals
This cute pink swimsuit was decked out in little teddy bears! 
The famous red Chickeeduck jacket (bro had a matching black one)

What are your thoughts on my 90s style? I'd love to know!

14 comments:

  1. the patterned leggings are still in! you're a trend setter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were gone for a while in the early 2000s, but I think 90s fashion in general is coming back into style! Haha thanks Steph! :3

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, Jem, I missed reading your blog! I really love the 90s and I always find it such fun to look at old photos from my early years too! I had my hair cut exactly like yours and my family wardrobe was pretty much made of denim, lol.

    Isabela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Isabela! Keep me on your reading list because I plan on blogging regularly. :) Same! And looks like we had a lot in common during our toddler days. :P

      Delete
  3. Nice blog! Would you like follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudina, I don't trade follows for follows but I will check your blog out for sure. :) Hope you enjoy my blog!

      Delete
  4. This was such a cute post! <3 I just found your blog and I'm loving it, just started following! xx

    ferdies-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Fernanda! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog! :)

      Delete
  5. These pictures are so adorable! Must be nostalgic looking back on them and reflecting on the 90s in general. What I remember most about the 90s were the boy bands, Britney first making it huge, Power Rangers, the crazy toy fads that we had (Tazos, yo-yos), lots of other things :p It all seems so kitsch now haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! :) Oh man I get so nostalgic every time I look at my toddler photos. Makes me wish I was that young again. And totally agree with all your 90s memories - it was a fun decade! We had REAL toys and not just technology which I love.

      Delete
  6. I am OBSESSED with this outfit. I feel like I'm experiecning a bit of a flashback--in the best way possible and as a child of the 90s, I 100% approve. PS Has anyone ever told you that you were like the cutest child ever...because you were! Just found you're blog and I think it is fantastic. I can't wait to see more posts.

    http://vivalafashiongirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked this series so much! I really put a lot of thought into it so it's nice to see lovely readers that appreciate it. Awww, haha you're too sweet! Stick around, I've got more up my sleeve. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the 90s flashback. Besides the obvious fashion factor (did anyone else crimp their hair?)- I don't think kids these days had as much fun as we did in the 90s. They need to get off their videogames and go to the arcade or go climb a tree haha

    x karen
    www.thechicndamned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Glad you liked this blog post. I did not crimp my hair, probably because my hair wouldn't hold it. :P But I totally agree with you, kids these days should get out more! They're missing out!

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg