You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Indeed Laboratories Hydraluron


I debated for a long time about whether or not I should write a post about this product. If you've spent any time around the beauty community lately, you'll know that Hydraluron is an incredibly hyped up, raved about, cult skincare product .... but I absolutely hated it. I'd apologize for being harsh but it's the truth. You all know I don't like to write about the products I don't get along with, but for such a popular product, I thought it might be helpful for some to put my two cents out there because there really aren't a lot of negative reviews on this product, which is not a bad thing at all! I'm glad this product works wonders for so many people, but I also think people need to have access to a few reviews of the opposite sort. So here it goes..

For those of you who have never heard of Hydraluron, it's essentially one of the more concentrated hyaluronic acid serums out there and it claims to provide dehydrated skin a boost of moisture from below the surface. If you've seen my past couple posts this may sound familiar because it's sort of what the Origins Make a Difference Plus+ treatment is marketed for as well. I really didn't need Hydraluron when I purchased it (since at this point I had and was very happy with the Origins treatment) but when I saw that it was on sale at my local Shoppers Drug Mart I thought that I might as well snap it up since I've been meaning to try it out anyways, as it's all anyone's been talking about recently. I was really excited for this product and thought that it could be something I could use alternatively with the Origins treatment. You can imagine how high my expectations were at this point, I half expected it to somehow magically make me look like Jessica Alba ..... the Asian version of course.

So when I tried it the first time and noticed an immediate feeling of tightness afterwards, I was slightly disappointed. But anyone knows you should give a product a few goes before you make a final verdict,  so the next evening I tried it a second time and boy do I regret it to this day because this time not only did I get that same feeling of uncomfortable tightness, this time I also developed the 'hard' type of dry, flaky patches everywhere on my face - even in places that I don't normal experience dehydration in, specifically the tops of my cheeks, my forehead, my temples, my chin - and the most painful rash-like skin reaction which I especially felt after I applied my moisturizer afterwards. This product seemed to do to my skin exactly the opposite of what it said it would do. My skin was not happy and neither was I. It was almost like the product chemically burned my skin because the hard, rough dryness did not go away for a week. Thankfully during the healing process, I did not feel any more pain when using my other skincare products but I also made sure to use my most gentle and calming cleansers and moisturizers, and absolutely nothing exfoliating (masks or toners).

I understand that with all products there are going to be people it doesn't work for, but I just had such a strongly averse reaction to this particular one that made me plain mad. I don't know if I used it the wrong way (I followed box instructions), if it's just something with my skin, or if the product is too concentrated/pure for me, but whatever the reason I won't be using this ever again.

A week later, my skin is back to normal and the Hydraluron back in its box to be returned. This product didn't work for me at all. I will very happily stick to my Origins offering which does everything and more for my skin anyways so I don't feel like I'm missing out! You can read my full review on that product here. If you're looking to purchase Hydraluron in the near future, I would highly recommend testing it out on a small patch of skin first for a couple of days before proceeding to apply it onto your entire face. I hope this review was helpful for some of you prospective buyers, and I promise the next post will be a cheerier one!

20 comments:

  1. It sucks when a product your really excited about just does not agree with your skin- bummer! Great review!

    -Maddy @ www.BeautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! :( If it weren't for the Origins treatment I'd have been extra bummed. And thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard about this product and it's true that many raved about it! >.<
    So sad to hear! :( I thought it's a great/amazing product! Thank you for this great review Ms. Jem! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! But just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't for you either! I just recommend testing it first on a small patch of skin before going over your whole face like I did. Probably would have made it less painful for me! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. I heard hyaluronic acid does not work for everyone. My current cleanser and toner has hyaluronic acid but the cleanser dries out my face so badly! The toner works fine for me tho. I guess hyaluronic acid isn't a one size fits all.

    ♡ M.May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good to know! Yeah, it sure didn't work for me. I'd still be open to trying it in smaller dosages, perhaps. I'm thinking Hydraluron might have just been too concentrated of a serum for me!

      Delete
  4. I tried a little sample... it didn't do anything... I felt the same way you do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Maybe not worth the hype? :( I have another friend who said the same! In my opinion, there are a lot of other products on the market that do what it claims!

      Delete
  5. I just bought this and have been using it for a couple of days. So far I barely notice any difference, but at least my skin doesn't appear to have reacted negatively. Your experience just goes to show how skin care is so unique to the individual - it does require considerable trial and error to find out what works for you irrespective of the positive or negative reviews out there by other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, no one I know that's used it has had a revolutionary experience with it...which is odd considering how much it's raved about online! I'm glad you are faring much better with it than I did! And I completely agree that bloggers'/peoples' opinions on products are, at the end of the day, just that and you really just need to find, through trial and error, what works for you! I'm currently in that process and am making good progress I think. :)

      Delete
  6. Ohh great review dear. That sucks when you expected from a product that will do best on skin. :) By the way, you have a nice blog. Would you like to follow each other? Let me know in my blog and I’ll follow right away. : )

    XX, IamJenniya
    New Post! >> Give a girl the right shoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - I was disappointed, but totally happy for everyone that this product works wonders for! Thank you! :) While I don't do follows for follows, I will certainly check your blog out. :)

      Delete
  7. Your experience with this product sounds intense :( especially with all the rave reviews it had gotten! thanks for the review though, good to have a different perspective & opinion on it. I have sensitive skin so might research a bit more onto it before tossing up on whether to buy it or not :)

    ♥ M & L

    http://twoplicates.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exactly why I decided to blog about. I felt like there weren't enough of this side of the story out there and although I'm super happy for all the people it does work for, I wish I'd known there were this side to it! No problem! I'd say purchase it from a place that has a really good return policy. The drugstore I bought it from took it right back and refunded me, no questions asked!

      Delete
  8. Hi, just wanted to say that I love your hair! Beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Jonna! You're so sweet! :)

      Delete
  9. i do agree that it leaves you skin with a tight feeling after use, but it's such a shame you had a reaction to it! i have quite sensitive skin, so i know skin reactions are horrible things :( glad it's back to normal now though! following your blog <3

    from helen at thelovecatsinc | bloglovin'

    ps. check out my new givaway to win a goodie bag of drugstore favourites! click here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was really bummed out because I had such high expectations of the product! Thanks for following, Helen! x

      Delete
  10. Oh no it gave you a reaction! Did you put hydraluron on and then straight after moisturiser because it is meant to act like glue on anything you put on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I applied the Hydraluron as a serum, so I put moisturizer on afterwards. Was I supposed to do something else? :/ It did feel quite tacky!

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg