You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Current Loves No. 3


Wow, how long has it been since my last favourites post? Way too long. I need to do these more often! Here's a roundup of the things I've been loving lately...a bit of everything in this one - makeup, skincare, fashion, and even a fragrance!

Let's start with the makeup. I've been loving my complexion colour products of choice lately, and those would be Benefit's Hervana blush and The Body Shop's Honey Bronzing Powder in the shade 03 Medium Matte. Hervana is a great option for those of you who are just starting out with makeup or want a super subtle and natural flush because that's what this product does for you. It's a sheer, pretty corally pink and it does a lovely job at brightening the face up without making it look particularly obvious that you've got blush on.

I think bronzer is one of those products that I'm not really fussed about, as in I only ever own one bronzer (typically a matte one), to use for when I want to go for a bit of contour. Don't get me wrong I think it makes a world of difference and it definitely has its place in my makeup bag, but I just don't see the point in having more than one, unlike my collection of blushes, lipsticks, foundations, ... you get the point. I quite like my current Body Shop one for several reasons. Why not start with the fact that it has a cute/cool honeycomb pattern on it? Also, it's so easy to use - really sheer and buildable so you don't have to worry about overdoing it, and it gives the most natural definition. I think bronzer can really bring life to someone's face and this product does the job really well.

Last for makeup is the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer, a product I've loved for a long time now. I'm on my second pen and have already purchased a third one when it runs out! I use this to conceal around my under eye area as I find it appropriately hydrating and highlighting while still having enough pigmentation to conceal decently well. If you've got some major darkness or pigmentation this may not do the job, but otherwise it's fantastic!

I wasn't sure whether to place this under makeup or skincare, but my next favourite product is the C.O. Bigelow Lemon Lip Balm. I highly highly recommend this for any of you with troublesome lips! Dry, chapped, cut, flakey, whatever it is this lip balm can solve. I remember using it once when my lips were in horrible condition - I had a bunch of bare lip skin (is that a thing?) from biting them so they hurt a lot - and I kid you not, 10-20 minutes later I felt no pain. I rubbed the balm off just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and my lips were healed! Miracle product this one is.

Two skincare bits. First, I've been loving the Origins Super Spot Remover, recommended by some lovely Brit Youtubers (which you know I love)...Kate, Anna, and Estee. I place them on spotty areas of my face when I feel them coming on and it just gets them taken care of. I've also noticed that it seems to help with acne scars which I have quite a lot of so I'm happy about that! But what I love the most is that it doesn't leave the area surrounding spots dry and flakey like a lot of spot treatments can do. Thumbs up Origins! Second is Cuccio Naturale's Pomegranate & Fig Butter Blend. In a blog post for the third time in a row?! I must love this stuff! Read the full blog post on this product here if you haven't already.

For fragrance I have been obsessed with Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh. This scent equals spring. It's fresh, floral, feminine and sophisticated. I highly recommend you sniff this yourself in store because no amount of describing will do it justice! I'm usually really bad at remembering to spritz something on in the morning, but since my first spray with this little sample vial that I received in one of my Topboxes, I've been using it daily. It's like I want to smell it all the time so I'm so eager to spritz it all over in the morning! When this small sample runs out, ........ you bet I'm going to be getting a full size bottle. *Guilty gulp*

Fashion! I've been pretty much obsessed with my Aerie tortoiseshell sunglasses. I wear them everyday with anything and everything to keep my peepers protected from the sun. They are in the Wayfarers design which I think suits most face shapes and I'm super happy to have them. This specific pair is no longer available but I'm sure a ton of different brands and stores make a style similar to this! My last favourite for this post is my recently acquired light wash denim jacket from Gap which I got on a 40% off sale. To me this is the perfect piece of outerwear for the spring and summer. It has the light colour that goes with a spring/summer colour palette, it's not too heavy but it still keeps you warm from cooler evenings, and it goes with all your favourite spring/summer outfits. I rocked denim like crazy during my toddler days so I think of my childhood whenever I wear this. Awww.

Hope you've enjoyed this round of favourites and I'll talk to you soon in the next post!


Twitter: @jemcheng
Tumblr: withscienceandfaith
Instagram: jemcheng

30 comments:

  1. good pick - love a marc jacobs fragrance! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are amazing! I'm really picky with fragrances so the fact that I like so many of his is really something.

      Delete
  2. i really like the cuccio butter blends too. no greasy feeling and smooth soft skin!

    Isabel @ Walk of Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! More people need to know about this stuff. It's amazing!

      Delete
  3. I use bronzer the same way you do. Simply for contour but I always have some around. :) I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest outfit post.

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I always have one bronzer on hand but never more for some reason.

      Delete
  4. I love the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer because it's perfect for eyes. If you want something heavier for better coverage the collection 2000 one is perfect but slightly too heavy for the eye area!

    http://testingfavourites.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already done a review on the Collection concealer! ;) Love it for covering blemishes but yes, too heavy for the eyes!

      Delete
  5. I might have to try that Body Shop bronzer!

    Maddy @ www.beautyBanterBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! :) I recommend! And I've actually already done a Liebster post - check the archives. :) Thank you so much for the nomination, though!

      Delete
  6. Nominated you for a Liebster Award!
    http://www.beautybanterblog.com/2013/06/liebster-award-x-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh i've just bought the Body Shop Bronzer.. it looks so beautiful! I love the pattern on the pan, and it looks really pale for me :D xx
    Gemma ♥ | Ɱiss Ɱakeup Ɱagpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I smile a little when someone purchases something I love and have talked about. Haha! Hope you enjoy - it's a great bronzer. :)

      Delete
  8. Love your blog and the Hervana blush is so pretty! :)
    Hope you're having a Fierce & Fabulous Sunday!
    xoxo
    Crystal

    My Blog, Crystal Chizoba
    My YouTube Channel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog. I absolutely love it's simplicity and the great photos that you take! :)

    - Sandra,
    backto--neverland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, your comment really means a lot! I'm still in the process of learning and trying to be better so it's good to know that someone notices! :)

      Delete
  10. great post :)
    would you like to follow each other?
    http://inyasuniverse.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I don't do follows for follows but I'll be sure to check your blog out. :)

      Delete
  11. Great picks Ms. Jen! I'm so intrigued regarding the origins products! I need to hunt them! I hope I can find those here in the Philippines. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha aw, I'm glad you like them but who's Jen? ;) And maybe check online for any retailers that ship to the Philippines!

      Delete
  12. Lovely blog x

    www.brunettetrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Body Shop bronzer looks like such a pretty colour! Never tried their bronzers but I swatched some of their single eyeshadows and was really impressed with the pigmentation. The denim jacket is such a lovely piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is - I was really pleasantly surprised! I got it on a whim just because I needed a new bronzer and I love it! :) Thanks girl, it's definitely a summer staple in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  14. Great post girl! Love Marc Jacobs fragrance! :)

    Xo, Michelle

    mash-elle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg