You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Friday, May 17, 2013

Textiles Upon Textiles

Since we've officially left the blizzard days behind, I've been fully embracing and absolutely loving all the happy, warm sunshine. But sometimes, when the wind decides to come and play, it can be a little chilly. This outfit is everything I love about this weather and this season - it's not on either extreme of the scale and so necessitates layering, which in my opinion is an art. I'm no expert at it but I look to the likes of Jenn Im (clothesencounters on Youtube) who in my opinion layers every outfit to perfection. What I love the most about Jenn is that she dresses herself (and does it well!) without losing sight of her personality. And seriously, this girl can pull off anything. She could wear a garbage bag and look like a goddess.

I took a page out of her book on a particularly sunny but windy day and threw this outfit together. A simple graphic crop muscle tee and a versatile denim circle skirt has been one of my favourite combos lately for it's casual, cute feel.  Normally this time of year, we're used to seeing lots of flowy, sheer, soft skirts, but my closet staple is this denim piece. It has more heft and structure to it but it's still manages to be light. I also love the shape of it because it gives that really pretty, feminine and waist-slimming silhouette. For the wind, I threw on this bargain of a cardigan (heh I didn't mean that) - oversized, chunky, knit, and decked out in sequins - all for the amazing price of $15 (used to be $69.95). Gobsmacked. And it added that extra punch to the ensemble without being overpowering. What more can I ask for?

I went very minimal on accessories because I wanted the focus to be on all the different textures - denim, wool, cotton, studs, woven, tortoiseshell - what harmony they produced together. Just a touch of gold at heart centre, my Tiffany's necklace which is really just there because it's essentially second skin - I never take it off.

H&M cardigan | Brandy Melville tank | Topshop skirt | Tiffany & Co. necklace | Aldo studded loafers | Roots bag | Aerie sunglasses

Photos by S.S.


Twitter: @jemcheng
Tumblr: withscienceandfaith
Instagram: jemcheng

23 comments:

  1. You're beautiful !!
    I adore the last photo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Anonymous! Your comment made my day. You are so so sweet! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit, so fresh, so cute, and so simple! I have been reading through your blog and love all your spring edit series!

    Followed, and I can't wait for more.

    If you have a minute it would be great if you could check out my blog, I'd love to have you!
    Beauty Baroness ☮♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, thanks for such a lovely comment! I'm glad you enjoy my blog! :) I will definitely check yours out.

      Delete
  3. Your so pretty am really jealous, i love your blog btw and your outfit, i love that skirt as well really suits you

    ive just started blogging, could you check my blog out? and maybe follow or leave a comment, ive followed u xoxox

    http://hollysbeautyobsesion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Holly - you're so sweet. But you are equally gorgeous! Will check your blog out! x

      Delete
  4. Love your outfit- especially the skirt! And youre such a cutie :)

    Love from Canada,

    http://a-warriors-diary.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! :) Yay a fellow Canadian! Hope you've enjoyed reading...and if you want to see more make sure to follow on Bloglovin so you get updates of my new posts!

      Delete
  5. You look so pretty Jem! I love your denim skater style skirt it's so cute <3 xxx

    Gemma | ♥ International MAC RiRi Woo giveway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma! :) I suggest snapping it up at Topshop. It's a timeless piece that you'll love forever!

      Delete
  6. i looove your blog. I love this style! You're so pretty! I'm going to try this style in Uni soon(: i'm enjoy reading your blog and I followed! I hope you would return the favor (: xx

    www.ayapritabelia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! :) Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you enjoy my future posts. I had a look at your blog and I adore your photography, so I followed as well!

      Delete
  7. Your outfit is so cute! I love its simplicity yet it isn't boring at all. The cardigan is gorgeous, damn there is no H&M in Australia- and how lucky that you managed to snag such a great bargain :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! HOW unfortunate, my closet would be empty without H&M!

      Delete
  8. so not the point, but you have the nicest hair! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I used Brilliantine on it for the photos. :)

      Delete
  9. I super love your outfit, girl! Your photographer is fab too. I wish I had someone who could take my photos like you. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maxie! :) Yup he's quite talented. Haha. I'm lucky to have him shoot my photos!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures ! Love that skirt too x

    beautylifemichelle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I can't take credit for the photos - I have my awesome photographer to thank for that. I CAN take credit for picking out that skirt, though! ;)

      Delete
  12. I love this outfit, you have great style! x

    http://lucyandbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lucy! :) Means a lot! x

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg