You have to be odd
to be number one.
Dr. Seuss

Friday, April 26, 2013

Bumble and bumble Brilliantine


I'm a pretty low-maintenance gal when it comes to my hair. Being of Asian descent, I've been blessed with naturally straight hair that almost takes care of itself on the daily (my former roommates liked to make me feel bad about it, haha). But after 20 years of the same straight, flat hair, you start to want a bit of a change. I mean, a bit of bedhead, volume, and thoughtful mess never hurt anyone. So I decided to shoot a tweet to the Bumble and bumble connoisseur Miss Chelsea Henry. If you've never heard of Chelsea, you need to head on over to her blog because it is simply amazing - this girl is a master of photography and the written language.....aaaand making you go broke. ;) Haha! Seriously though, I love reading her blog - it's super casual and easygoing, and (I would maybe go so far as to say) has some of the loveliest photos on the internet! Back to my hair. I asked Chelsea what styling product she'd recommend for lightweight, tousled bedhead hair and she pointed me to Brilliantine, so I got a hold of it the next time I was at the mall.

What this product does for you is hard to put into words because the change is so subtle it's almost unnoticeable ... but it's there. Brilliantine is a lightweight, low hold product that just bumps up your hair game without being too flashy, if that makes any sense. I loved the natural effect and extra shine I got with it. After all of that, the smell is just a bonus. It isn't particularly floral or musky, it just smells of salon freshness. Haha! I don't know how else to describe it but it's as if I had my hair done by the professionals.

How I use Brilliantine. Squeeze a dime-size dollop onto my palm, rub my hands together to get the product all over and just work my hands through my hair, lightly scrunching relatively large sections at a time. If I find I want a bit more, I repeat. I start off small because too much can make your hair appear greasy. I also like to concentrate the product more from the mid-shaft to the ends because my roots tend to get oily pretty quickly.

Sooo I may have went to town with it in the photos below. Lots of hand scrunching on second day hair will give you a more piecey look like this (first and second photos). But if you use the product on freshly cleaned hair the results are more subtle (third photo), so just style as you please.


There you have it, folks! I'd say my first foray into hair styling was a smashing success. If you want that done undone look, try this one out for size because it is amazing!
(BTW: Chelsea also has her own review on Bb's Brilliantine over here.)


Twitter: @jemcheng
Tumblr: withscienceandfaith
Instagram: jemcheng

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely gorgeous! I love your hair- and I agree with you about how asian hair can get boring sometimes, even though it is quite tamed :) I haven't heard of Brilliantine before but I really like its subtle yet lovely texture it gives to your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Karen! :) Yeah I'd definitely recommend Brilliantine if you're looking to change things up a bit and add a little volume to your hair! :) Let me know what you think of it if you pick it up!

      Delete

 photo s_03.jpg  photo s_04.jpg  photo s_06.jpg  photo s_08.jpg  photo s_09.jpg